[NTLK] Seen the Free Blender3D Campaign?

From: Jim Witte (jswitte_at_bloomington.in.us)
Date: Sun Jul 21 2002 - 02:34:11 EDT

Hello,

   I know this is off-topic of the Newton, but I suppose it's connected by virtue of involving another rather egregious case of corporate abandonware. Blender3D is a very successful 3D modeling program, with over 250,000 registered users. However, the company which held it, NaN Holding was unable to make it profitable (for reasons I don't particularly understand, probably that there the supply-market for 3D renderers is big enough), and has now agreed to open the sources under GPL license (<grumble>) if 100,000 EUR can be raised. The Fund has already raised 12,000 toward this goal.

   While some (including myself) grumble at the GPL rearing it's ugly head in all of this, the offer to open the source at such a (relatively, considering the user-base) low price is significant. The company has stated that will continue the sale of less restrictive licenses to companies even after this move to open the source is made.

http://www.blender3d.com/campaign.html

Jim Witte
jswitte_at_bloomington.in.us
http://www.bloomington.in.us/~jswitte