Re: [NTLK] Adventures in Programming Vol1...RISCOS

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Fri Jul 19 2002 - 15:17:54 EDT

On Fri, 19 Jul 2002, MuHammed Lonon wrote:

> I stumbled upon this while perusing.
> http://productsdb.riscos.com/admin/riscos.htm
>
> Can I intergrate this into my Newton programming???

Uhm... no... because the Newton doesn't run RiscOS, it runs NewtonOS.
It's true that RiscOS is written for the ARM, but there's a lot of funky
hardware in the Newton, very, very little of which has publically
available documentation. So, *no*.

> And just how would I write, assemble, and run code for
> the RISC processor on the Newton (assuming I lost my
> mind and wanted to do so:)

The FAQ's development section goes through all of this, from standard
NewtonScript with NTK or NewtDevEnv to ARM assembler:

http://www.chuma.org/newton/faq/newton-faq-development.html

> Has anybody figured out how to get Inspector to
> connect over Appletalk??

Hrm, I believe I've gotten it to work over LocalTalk, but not EtherTalk...