Re: [NTLK] Geez people, freaking get over it

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Fri Jul 19 2002 - 14:16:32 EDT

On 19/07/02 14:04, "John Goggan" <jgoggan_at_dcg.com> wrote:

> Joshua Johnston wrote:
>> Apple does have substantial cash reserves, an article in the Mercury
>> News posted to bayarea.com
>> (http://www.bayarea.com/mld/bayarea/business/companies/3263779.htm)
>> claims Apple to have four billion dollars in cash. Even assuming it
>> costs Apple two million to keep iTools running until it dies by upgrade
>> to .Mac or attrition, that's not even a dent compared to what it could
>> do to keep people happy with purchasing Apple products.
>>
>> I've seen several reports over the years talking about Apple's high
>> amount of fluid cash, so it's pretty hard not to accept the fact it's
>> out there.
>
> I'm confused. Didn't MS basically provide Apple the cash to keep going a
> couple years back? (Or was that all media hype?) I mean, if Apple had that
> kind of fluid cash, then they wouldn't have needed/wanted MS's help, right?

Nah, that's nothing compared to what Apple has in reserve. What makes the
story fuzzy a little bit is that it's not clear what Microsoft did get in
return. Part of the agreement was, like others mentioned, that Office would
be provided for 5 years by Microsoft. Based on that part of the agreement, I
would believe that it should have been Apple who would have paid Microsoft,
not the other way around. So, there are some parts in this agreement that we
don't know. Hmmmm. Anybody remember when Apple did announce they would stop
supporting the Newton platform?

-Laurent.

GOSMACS /goz'maks/ n.: [contraction of `Gosling EMACS'] The first EMACS-in-C
implementation, predating but now largely eclipsed by GNUMACS. Originally
freeware; a commercial version was modestly popular as `UniPress EMACS'
during the 1980s. The author, James Gosling, went on to invent NeWS and the
programming language Java; the latter earned him demigod status.