Re: [NTLK] Geez people, freaking get over it

From: Joshua Johnston (flagg_at_midmaine.com)
Date: Fri Jul 19 2002 - 13:43:23 EDT

Actually, I'm in the planning stages of my own computer assembly and
support shop. It may or may not get off the ground, but who knows? I
do have some business knowledge, and have watched this industry for
several years. The problem right now is that Apple has an increasing
"customer goodwill" problem: They're losing it. And it was the one
thing that kept Apple going for so many years.

Apple does have substantial cash reserves, an article in the Mercury
News posted to bayarea.com
(http://www.bayarea.com/mld/bayarea/business/companies/3263779.htm)
claims Apple to have four billion dollars in cash. Even assuming it
costs Apple two million to keep iTools running until it dies by upgrade
to .Mac or attrition, that's not even a dent compared to what it could
do to keep people happy with purchasing Apple products.

I've seen several reports over the years talking about Apple's high
amount of fluid cash, so it's pretty hard not to accept the fact it's
out there. Canceling iTools the way they have is a certain way to
generate ill will from the users, as has been shown by the large (and
-badly- written) petition that started circling around, and the other
recent developments such as the high price for 10.2 are not helping. At
all.

Yes, Apple needs to generate more income. Yes, I think .Mac would be
worth $99 to the right people, but I think Apple is making two key
mistakes. First, alienating iTools users by cutting them off. Second,
they're messing up by releasing the software that will enhance .Mac the
most (iCal) close to the end of the iTools $49 buy-in deadline. They're
intentionally playing iTools users to try and get an instant cash
infusion, and it's good business sense, but poor customer relations.

My biggest problem is that Apple seems to have next to no customer
relations skills lately. I feel like asking Jobs "What Have You Done
For Me Lately?".