Re: [NTLK] "Q Re-print" size poll

From: Jochen Schäfer (js.josch_at_gmx.de)
Date: Thu Jul 18 2002 - 09:38:22 EDT

On Thu, 18 Jul 2002 15:27:20 +0200, Marco Mailand wrote:

>> My iMac 350 and iPhoto have managed to open a 47MB tiff. Bit of a struggle
>> but I'd hardly call my machine "very special" although I do take your
>point
>> :-)
>> P.S. I do have 768 MB of RAM in it.
>Ah, here we go :-)
>I've tried to open a 75MB TIFF and couldn't on different Mac's and Windozes.
>But they all had less than 256MB RAM. A colleague could open it finally with
>a 1GB RAM double pentium LINUX server and reduced it then to about 24MB
>which is fine on the smaller computers.
Well, here you see - once again - the state of the software producing
industry nowadays:
Do it the easy way - for the programmer. The user can always buy more
memory, more CPU power or disk space.
I don't understand, why image programs behave so stupid. With a little
thought you could do it on a 32MB machine.

Jochen