Re: [NTLK] Newton UMP2k microphone problems...

From: Joel M. Sciamma (joelsciamma_at_compuserve.com)
Date: Wed Jul 17 2002 - 13:54:45 EDT

Matthew,

> I've just received a MP2k (my second Newton, a
> replacement for my 130) but I can't get the voice
> record in the Notes to work. I checked the settings in
> the Prefs, yet when I try to record, it only plays
> back static. A teardown revealed no obvious bad solder
> connections or loos connections. For giggles I
> reseated the mic connector and checked the continuity
> of the wire. Everything looks as it should. Any
> suggestions, shy of "get a new 2k?"

Have you tried another microphone capsule to see if it's that or the
digitising HW on the Newt? Any 2-wire mic from another piece of equipment
will probably yield something just to prove the circuit.

You should observe the same polarity as the original (one lead will connect
to the can) and keep the soldering time to a minimum.

There are some tiny mic capsules available inexpensively from electronics
stores that might be a good fit in the Newt case.

Joel.