Re: [NTLK] "Q Re-print" size poll

From: Laurent Daudelin (nemesys_at_cox.net)
Date: Wed Jul 17 2002 - 08:50:32 EDT

on 17/07/02 07:07, Marco Mailand at Newton2k1_at_mac.com wrote:

>> Now, WHAT is it about these drawings?
>> what can you do with it?
> Hi Barbara,
> imagine a technical drawing or a set of several drawings which describe the
> form of a complex part like e.g. the Newton case. With that information,
> more precise with the numbers on the drawings and all those arrows and
> dimensions you can walk into any mechancial workshop on this world and have
> a Newton case made out of a block of Aluminium. If the drawing is available
> in digital format and even in three-dimensional version you could with the
> right software control an automatic machine to make hundreths of beautiful
> silver glossy metal cases or lids or whatever you want and sell them. The
> set-up time of such a machine is expensive but any repeated and automated
> work as well as the material itself costs nearly nothing.
>
> As soon as I can get that part of these drawings which shows the lid and all
> its dimensions I'll start a small series of either clear plastic lids or
> Aluminium ones.
>
> BTW, I was speaking with an expert for vacuum chambers from the APS near
> Chicago. He had his vacuum chambers made from extruded Aluminium. This would
> be exactly what we need. Extruded pieces are extremely straight and maintain
> the glossy surface of Aluminium. They could be cut into pieces of the length
> of the lid and with a simple machining process in a milling machine the
> necessary cut-outs could be done to get metal replacement lids in mass
> production.

A brushed aluminum case would certainly interest me, if the price is right!

-Laurent.

Laurent Daudelin                            <http://members.cox.net/nemesys>
Logiciels Nemesys Software                            mailto:nemesys_at_cox.net

code police n.: [by analogy with George Orwell's `thought police'] A mythical team of Gestapo-like storm troopers that might burst into one's office and arrest one for violating programming style rules. May be used either seriously, to underline a claim that a particular style violation is dangerous, or ironically, to suggest that the practice under discussion is condemned mainly by anal-retentive weenies. "Dike out that goto or the code police will get you!" The ironic usage is perhaps more common.