Re: [NTLK] WSJ article on shrinking warranties and disposable pro ducts

From: Brian Peck (Research/Library) (Brianp_at_ncleg.net)
Date: Wed Jul 17 2002 - 08:47:37 EDT

Jim Witte wrote:
"Good thing the Newton is built to last (back when Apple didn't make
disposable computers - although, I don't think they quite make disposable
computers even now, they just play the planned obselecence fame like
everyone else.. with upgrades)"

It sure says something that my MP 130 still works fine today 6(7) years
after production. On a like note I bought a Kapro 2X in 1984 ("I know it's a
portable because it has a handle on the back" with a steel case and weighed
a modest 30+ pounds) with a Juki daisywheel printer. I was still using it in
1994 and had never had a problem with it, not even a crash. Don't even think
I ever had to soft or hard reboot (It had a little red button for
rebooting). That's what I call built to last.

Brian