[NTLK] My 2 cents [was Re: article]

From: MuHammed Lonon (mjl3781_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Jul 11 2002 - 12:15:28 EDT

IMHO Apple biggest handicap is also there best selling
point. All Apple computer products(at least the one's
I have used) have ben gear toward the purpose of an
'interaction' between the user and the machine. I
remember when I first got my Pwrbk 145b and played
through demo/tutorial. It was entirely interactive
and alot of fun. As the demo said the OS and apps were
designed with the idea of mimicing an actual desktop
of the avrage user. And again IMHO I think that no
other product in the history of computing embodied the
computing 'experience' more than the Newton. Though
many will debate otherwise, I also think that one
major thing that led to Apple's 'downfall' was the
success of the 90's. Micro$soft's products have
always been about productivity.[insert joke here] They
are about doing something and doing alot of it(though
not well{see any M$ OS}). This was what people wanted
in the 90's there were too many buyers to care about
quality as much as quantity. In fact the entire
Wintel 'persona' is about supply (just look at the
selection). A PC is a utility, something to be used.
A Mac on the other hand is an 'experience'(I don't
mean this to be a praisy as it sounds). The
experience has always been the primary in Apple
development. This is why Apple's stronghold in
business is education and "creative" industries. A
Wintel is NOT made for the creative mind. This is
what I think Apple is gambling on and what SJ was
talking about when he said they would continue the way
of innovation instead of making cheap Macs. Apple's
PDA reentry is waiting on what is currentky happening
and has been for a while with the Newton community.
With the slew of PDA's that are out there and having
used them for sometime people now want to actually
have there Personal Digital Assistant ASSIST them.
Currently this can only be found in a Newton. I think
that this is what Apple is banking on and waiting for.
 The Newton was ahead of its time in that people
wanted something to USE and weren't willing to pay so
much for the "experience". Bit by bit I think Apple
is leading up to bringing about a new "experience"

P.S. I also think that OSX most important feature is
is to add the "usability" feature to an Apple product
while retaining the "experience".

=====
MuHammed Jamal Lonon
102 Loden Lane Rochester, NY 14623