[NTLK] Lots of Newton in new product

From: Dave Bonhoff (GTIDave_at_golden.net)
Date: Wed Jul 10 2002 - 22:36:37 EDT

I stumbled across this while looking at MP3 players and thought that it
might be of interest to the list with all the talk of where the newt
could have gone or where Apple may take the concept:

SonicBlue ProGear http://www.sonicblue.com/b2b/progear/default.asp

I must admit that I'm intrigued by this device. It has many Newton
features, but is (more) technologically current. I wonder what the HWR
is like? Does it offer the basic functionality that my UMP2000? Sure
the high end model has a Linux OS and a web browser, but what else? The
colour touch screen which is ~10" diagonal (1024x768) and can be rotated
is real nice, heck it's higher resolution than my powerbook! Battery
life isn't that great, and I'm sure that it is short when using the
wireless, but I could deal with that. It is more than double the size
of a newt, but in my case that also isn't an issue since I carry my newt
and lots of personal junk in a small laptop bag.

While interested in this device and where it may go, I'm not in any rush
to abandon my newt for a new, shiny toy. Every day I learn something
new about my newt and its abilities, thanks to this list and the many
newton web sites out there.

Just thought you might be interested in it from a tech point of view.
Dave