Re: [NTLK] Print edition of Programming For the Macintosh - online publication?

From: MuHammed Lonon (mjl3781_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jul 08 2002 - 14:36:56 EDT

--- PaulMmn <PaulMmn_at_ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> Jim--
>
> I'm afraid that's not the case.
>
> A copyright is good for a fixed period (differs if
> it's held by a
> real person or a corporation or pen name). It does
> not matter if the
> work is still in print or not.
>
> Depending on the contract the author has with the
> publisher, the
> author may regain all rights after a fixed period or
> if the work is
> no longer in print.
>
> This brings up an interesting point-- nowadays,
> there are instant
> print systems that store the entire text of a book
> in a computer, and
> custom-print a copy of the book on demand. All a
> publisher has to do
> is sell 1 copy a year to keep the book 'in print.'
> New ground for
> the lawyers.
>
> --Paul E Musselman
> PaulMmn_at_ix.netcom.nospam.com
>

> > Now, not, let's be civilized ;-) Do you think
> the author would mind
> >if one person photocopied the whole damn thing?
> It's out of print,
> >right? From my (very) limited knowledge of
> copyright law, that should
> >mean the copyright reverts to the author. So the
> next question: has it
> >been published online anyway?
> >
> >> I have the second edtion in print. I had always
> >> BACK OFF IT'S MINE!!!! How much do you want???

Just a thought.... The edition in the archive is an
online one with hyperlingks to jump around. I was
wondering 2 things:

1) Why hasn't anyone made this into a Newton Book
yet???!!!!

2) If I tried to do this would Paperback2.0 support
the Hyperlinks or would I have to go through
BookMaker?? [sidenote: Victor I think the Paperback
2.0 on the archive has become corrupted. I found an
earlier download of it and it worked but the one there
now doesn't(mac version)]

=====
MuHammed Jamal Lonon
102 Loden Lane Rochester, NY 14623