Re: [NTLK] gem enterprises

From: Andrew Beals (bandy_at_cinnamon.com)
Date: Wed Jan 30 2002 - 12:16:34 EST

On Wed, 30 Jan 2002 10:48:27 +0000, emdub <emdub_at_mac.com> wrote:

> I've been talking with them for the purchase of one... no deal yet
> though. I bid for one on eBay but we'll probably do business outside
> eBay cause they say they have dozens of these units with the extras.
> Getting these things to Europe is expensive though. Anybod know of a way
> to avoid paying VAT on them? I've heard about labeling them as samples...

Can't you just label them [mailed individually!] as a gift/petit cadeaux? I
have done that with cameras I've sent overseas ... and other cameras arriving
from Austria or the Ukraine have also been marked as "petit cadeaux", no
problems either way.

We are talking about five+ year old computers here...Obsolete. Abandoned by
their maker.

Long long ago, and not that far away, one of my previous employer's business
partners told us that we shouldn't declare the actual value of computers we
sent to Shanghai for use there -- the border guards/customs agents of the
People's Liberation Army knew that stuff was really really cheap in America
and that by declaring their actual US value, it made them wonder why we'd say
they were worth so much more than they "knew" they were. So we lowballed the
heck out of our declared valuations and everything went smoothly from then on
out.

> What was wrong with the ham before it was cured?

I don't know, but a pig like that, well, you just can't eat him all at once.