Re: [NTLK] NCU-like software native MacOS X: what prevents it

From: Bill Davis (newton_at_ecity.net)
Date: Tue Jan 29 2002 - 21:57:47 EST

>>> Not at all. Floppies are still used by PC folks and are a very quick
>>> and
>>> dirty way to exchange small files. I personally haven't used them at
>>> home
>>> for years, but they would have come in handy last summer.
>
>I really like those Sonnet Piccolo flash drives. They are small and
>easy to use. You could put them on a keychain. Cost is the only
>caveat. I think quick and dirty data transfer could be in tiny but
>powerful devices like these if they get the cost down to $30 and/or
>equip them with firewire. It's only a matter of time.
>
>Christopher Plummer
>plumcakes_at_mac.com
>plummer_at_bu.edu

I do something similar. Floppies are generall too small for me. So I
just use the CF (Compact Flash) card out of my PalmOS clone. I've got a
number of CF readers (one came with my camera, one came with my printer,
I bought a $12 PCMCIA CF adapter) and so I took one to work and hooked it
to my PC's USB port.

Now, to transfer files, I just pop my 128MB CF card out of my PalmOS
clone (HandEra 330), pop it into my CF reader on my PC, copy the files,
put it back in my Palm, go home, pop the CF card into PCMCIA adapter or
CF reader on my PowerBook, and copy the files off.

And I can install files to/from the Palm that way too. Or copy off the
backups I make to the card to my Mac or PC. Plus, many Palm apps now
read and write to the card directly instad of just to internal RAM.

Sure wish those flash drives were cheaper. Or that people would just
build CF or SD/MMC card readers into all macs, PCs and laptop. Hell,
they're building into many printers nowadays....

Just saw a multifunction gizmo today that's scanner, printer, copier,
fax, AND card reader. $399. Not bad.

 - Bill