Re: [NTLK] Suggestions for modem and memory card for eMate

From: Michael J. Hußmann (michael_at_michael-hussmann.de)
Date: Tue Jan 29 2002 - 21:37:32 EST

Stephen Jendraszak (stevehj_at_mac.com) wrote:

> It would indeed be nice for PowerBook owners. It would also be a way for
> owners of newer (USB) PowerBooks to install packages without having to
> rely on ethernet (need the driver on the Newt) or serial-to-USB adapters
> (clunky, can be difficult for some people to get working). I don't think
> Mac OS (even 7.x, 8.x, or 9.x) has support for reading Newton-volumes,
> based on my experience. The Mac asked it I wanted to format the card,
> which I certainly did not. However, as I said, this could be one of the
> many "quirks" of the 5300 series. Perhaps someone else on the list has a
> newer PowerBook? If there is no driver, I have no idea how feasible it
> would be to create one. That is completely out of my depth.

Paul Guyot would be the one to give an expert opinion, but I guess you
would have to implement a whole lot of Newton OS functionality on the Mac
for this to work. It's not a mere driver that you are asking for.

- Michael

Michael J. Hussmann

E-mail: michael_at_michael-hussmann.de
WWW: http://michael-hussmann.de