Re: [NTLK] Groupers were based on Wavelan

From: Michael J. Hußmann (michael_at_michael-hussmann.de)
Date: Tue Jan 29 2002 - 14:39:36 EST

Fred Buecker (tfbiii_at_nbscomputers.net) wrote:

> Then I'm thinking of the WaveLAN technology, maybe Lucent did that as a
> marketing scheme, but WaveLAN as I know it is an older wireless
> technology that topped out at about 2Mbs.

Lucent's WaveLAN card have always been based on the 802.11 standard. The
first versions of these cards supported just 2 Mbs while later 802.11b
versions supported 11 Mbs. As a matter of fact, Apple's AirPort cards
were developed by Lucent and are based on WaveLAN technology.
Interoperability between older 2 Mbs (by Lucent, Farallon, or others) and
newer 11 Mbs cards is no problem at all; 11 Mbs cards will fall back to 2
Mbs anyway if the signal strength is too low to support 11 Mbs.

- Michael

Michael J. Hussmann

E-mail: michael_at_michael-hussmann.de
WWW: http://michael-hussmann.de