Re: [NTLK] NCU-like software native MacOS X: what prevents it

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Mon Jan 28 2002 - 13:39:27 EST

Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 10:56:03 -0500
From: Stephen Jendraszak <stevehj_at_mac.com>

I was particularly upset by your comment "But what concerns me, being
an iMac owner, is EtherTalk. If I could get a native connection in X,
over ethernet... I would be willing to pay for that." while the whole
purpose of this thread was to explain what prevents this, not to ask
if people would be likely to pay for it (which was asked a long time
ago).

Add to this that apparently you quote the whole messages and answers
just before them, which I'm not really fond of especially when
responding to long e-mails, plus the fact that Apple calls complete
an OS without a decent documentation (I quite feel using WFC at
university where every documentation page has a mention "to be
completed") and the fact that I spent a large part of last night
reinstalling OS X and trying to get it working -- if I launch
Terminal or System Update, it crashes, goes to the login screen and
if then I enter my l/p, Finder crashes and tries to reload (every 30
seconds, so I only can see "Opening session"), and I lost my temper
once again.

I apologize for it.

>I'm sorry, I didn't mean to indicate that I expected YOU (or anyone on
>the list, really) to write support for connecting Newtons over ethernet
>in X.

Cool. Nevertheless, Nicolas and I, in spite of our exams, are
spending quite a lot of time on it.

>I was just saying that in general, if "someone" did, I will be
>willing to pay for it. And that is saying something, because I am a
>college student, and contrary to what you imply, I don't have lots of
>cash lying around. But I'm willing to bet that I'm not the only one on
>the list who would buy such a product.

BTW, the DCL project is open source and copy-left, so you won't have
to pay for it (or software based on it).

>You use a beige G3 with serial ports. Okay. When I came to school, a new
>iMac was part of my scholarship. But until then, I had never owned a new
>computer, and the newest machine I had owned was a Bondi iMac, which I
>bought used for $600.

What I meant is that please don't assume that everyone has the latest
hardware (I mean it for you and for anyone else), and when Apple says
that MacOS X runs on G3 beige, it runs on G3 beige and a reasonable
developer is supposed to get the software running on a G3 beige as
well (of course, personally, I make a big difference between
"running" and being fast enough to be "useful", even with the 320 MB
of RAM in this machine).

>With additional RAM
>(and a lot of it), OS X feels fairly responsive on my old iMac.

I don't know what you call responsive, but I cannot really type to
write programs with CW6 in MacOS X (well, when it did not crash as
soon as System updates is launched).

>But there are some things that
>newer machines can do that those machines cannot, and I don't think it
>is fair to expect Apple to add support for things like the old iMac
>graphic card (Rage IIc), as some users have demanded.

Depends on what you call support, but Apple sells MacOS X for old
iMacs and G3s, so they have to support the hardware, i.e. let the
user be able to use it (they don't have to optimize their software
for it, but IrDA APIs must be documented and usable by programs as
it's present on some iMacs and Laptops that runs OpenSTEP).

BTW, what did Apple say about on which platforms MacOS X will run on
two or three years ago?

>I do wonder why the fact that I like OS X "concerns you."

It concerns me because a lot of Newton users find "Unix fun" like you
do (let me say that it's the first time I read this, and I still have
some troubles to eat it that someone finds Unix "fun"), believe that
it's ok that MacOS X is slower than MacOS because they feel that it
crashes less (or maybe they just believe what they're told) --
personally, I have the inverse feeling, maybe because my MacOS
configuration is well organized -- and therefore definitely wants an
OpenSTEP native connection software.

For this market is quite poor (well, Sloup can do some of NCU
operations), and the reason of that is that Apple Libraries are not
carbonizable (and include a DES challenge), and apparently, everyone
who tried to do that finally gave up, for all these reasons I tried
to look at it. I could also have started a bonsai collection, tried
to write a novel or watched movies, this is true.

Paul

--
Home page: http://www.kallisys.com/
Newton-powered WebServer: http://newt.dyndns.org:8080/