Re: [NTLK] newton works alphabatizing question and thanks

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Mon Jan 28 2002 - 11:00:51 EST

On 28/01/02 10:52, "Mike Hamende" <mhamende_at_tsl.state.tx.us> wrote:

> Will this work to erase the Getting Started cards and use them as storage?
>
> Has anyone figured out how to do this or is it impossible?
>
> I have a bunch of these cards and thought they would make good storage,
> if one could get them to read and write.
>
> I have read the FAQ and not found any reference to this.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Mike
>
> Victor Rehorst wrote:

>>> Some packages may have a protection bit set, so that they can't be copied,
>>> duplicated or otherwise moved...
>>>

>> ...unless you have EEUnprotect installed, which is a little extention that
>> causes the OS to ignore this bit:
>>
>> http://www.unna.org/unna/utilites/system_enhancements/EEUnProtect/

This EEUnprotect thing won't help you erase your "Getting Started" cards.
I'm not sure that those can be erased. What you can do would be to open the
prefs, then insert your "Getting Started" card. Usually, with an erasable
flash RAM card, you should be presented with a dialog asking you if you
really want to completely erase the card. If that confirmation dialog
doesn't pop up when you insert your "Getting Started" card, then I would
guess that the card is not writable.

-Laurent.

cargo cult programming n.: A style of (incompetent) programming dominated by
ritual inclusion of code or program structures that serve no real purpose. A
cargo cult programmer will usually explain the extra code as a way of
working around some bug encountered in the past, but usually neither the bug
nor the reason the code apparently avoided the bug was ever fully understood
(compare shotgun debugging, voodoo programming).