Re: [NTLK] Newbie with Internet questions

From: Stephen Jendraszak (stevehj_at_mac.com)
Date: Sun Jan 27 2002 - 13:30:23 EST

Just about any Hayes-compatible PC card modem should work with the
eMate, as long as it isn't part of a Ethernet/Modem combo card. For
email, many people on this list seem to use SimpleMail, but I use Eudora
Pro, and still others use EnRoute. I too own an eMate, and I have to say
that even over a cable modem, trying to browse the web with an eMate is
an exercise in frustration. If you really want to try, though, NetHopper
seems like a well-designed program, and it is serving my father well on
his 2100.

Yes, you can use an ethernet card in the eMate. You will have to buy a
compatible one (see the Newton FAQ at www.thisoldnewt.com), and install
the driver for it and Newton Internet Enabler 2.0. Hope this helps. All
software is available at www.unna.org, and EnRoute and NetHopper should
be on the CD with eMate as well.

sj

http://homepage.mac.com/stevehj