Re: [NTLK] MP2100 homebrew overclock

From: Stephanie Maks (steph_at_maksystems.com)
Date: Sat Jan 26 2002 - 22:30:51 EST

I have finaly figured out which crystal I used:

5.000 MHz, parallel, 18-20pf.

I don't know off hand what is the difference between serial and parallel
crystals, but that's what I used.

Also another bit of 'late breaking news' (no pun intended): If the micro
switch is make-before-break and you are slow to throw it or it gets stuck
midway between, both crystals are live and this is Very Bad. (as I
discovered embarassingly at the SONUG meeting).

Later testing at home verified, the Newton can go several minutes without
any crystal at all, and still work fine immediately after a crystal is
connected.

So if you have a choice, your switch should be break-before-make. If you
don't have a choice, throw the switch fast. My other problem was the switch
was too small, I had to use the stylus tip to throw it, and the stylus
sometimes slipped off.

I'll add this info to the website.

-Stephanie