Re: [NTLK] eMate troubles - Help, please

From: Michael Blazer (m.blazer_at_utoronto.ca)
Date: Fri Jan 25 2002 - 23:43:48 EST

on 25/01/2002 10:26 AM, Joel M. Sciamma at joelsciamma_at_compuserve.com wrote:

> Michael,
>
>> (1) Lid/hinge problem:
>
> It sounds like one of the springs which act as a clutch to support the
> screen has popped out of the hinge. The danger here is that the protruding
> spring leg can puncture the display cable which is then very hard to fix.
>
> Avoid moving the screen until you can investigate further.
>
> I'll send you details of how to address this problem directly.
>
>> (2) Powering on/sleep/battery problem:
[SNIP]>
> The switch that controls the wake/sleep function in under the left side of
> the screen as you face it. The Power button on the keyboard does exactly the
> same thing so use that until you check out the hinge issue.
>
> Joel.

Thanks Paul and Joel for your responses.

I now have another data point: I have noticed that as long as I put the
eMate to sleep with the keyboard, everything is fine, even if I close the
lid after it's asleep. 12 hours later, I can open the lid and it wakes up
with a full battery. So the dead battery / no wake problem seems to occur
_only if_ I close the lid without putting it to sleep first.

It seems overwhelmingly likely that the loose lid and the power problems are
related, via the lid-activated switch. But how exactly? It can't be simply
that the switch is failing to activate and therefore leaving the machine
awake -- the battery drainage occurs so quickly that it must be some kind of
short. But if there were a short caused by closing the lid, why would
putting the eMate to sleep with the keyboard first avoid the problem? And
why would the lid switch apparently work fine when _opening_ the lid? I
can't quite fathom the logic of this (but it is almost midnight).

Anyway, if that were the whole story, I could just live with it and try to
remember to put it to sleep with the keyboard before closing the lid. But
I'm concerned that, as Joel and Paul suggest, this could be a symptom of the
popped spring issue that has been discussed here. If so, I'd better do that
washer fix before my display cable gets damaged.

Can anyone who is familiar with how all these bits fit together mechanically
make an educated guess (or deduction?) as to whether my weird power-related
symptoms -- i.e., the battery drains rapidly if and only if you close the
lid while the eMate is awake -- could be caused by the popped spring? Or if
not, where the problem is likely to lie? I've never taken one of these
babies apart, but I have a feeling that innocence will be ending very soon!

Michael