Re: [NTLK] SkyGuide and other downsides of closed source

From: Stephanie Maks (steph_at_maksystems.com)
Date: Fri Jan 25 2002 - 10:21:23 EST

Mike, I understand what you are saying. If I was working on a project where
I was collaborating with someone from the start, or had gotten stumped on a
particular feature and needed to enlist some help, then I could see sharing
the source with one, or a handful of individuals.

For the projects I've been working on, however, it is more a question of
having the time to put the finishing touches onto them that I desire. I
admit a part of this is emotional rather than logical or intellectual, but
if I release the source for a half finished project, then by the time I have
finished it the way I want, there could perhaps be another one or two
versions out there, which don't work the way I want.

I know this is a mostly emotional rhetorical question, but isn't it good
enough that people are still working on free-ware for the Newton?

The very minor, meager programs that I've worked on aren't complicated or
special, and are likely to only appeal to a small portion of Newton users;
but they are new, and they are free. And I will release the source on all
of them, but not till I'm good and gosh darn ready.

-Stephanie