Re: [NTLK] Printing over ethernet

From: Aron Hsiao (thoth_at_leapdragon.net)
Date: Thu Jan 24 2002 - 15:21:57 EST

On Thursday 24 January 2002 01:10 pm, you wrote:
> At 08:01 AM 1/24/2002 -0500, you wrote:
> From: Aron Hsiao <thoth_at_leapdragon.net>
>
> >Subject: Re: [NTLK] Printing over ethernet
> >Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 02:09:20 -0700
> >
> >To add to this thread... if you want to go *really*
> >roundabout, you can run Netatalk (Appletalk support)
> > under Linux, then spool through Ghostscript. This way
> > you can print to nearly any printer with a
> > Newt+Ethernet and get nice output.
> >
> >This may work with Windows 2000 Appletalk support as
> > well, though I haven't tried it...
>
> I wanted to try it too, but my box at work doesn't have
> NT Server on it, which is apparently required to get
> Appletalk services. I looked into buying a copy, but it
> looks like it costs several hundred bucks per license.
> :-(
>
> About Netatalk/Ghostscript though... would it be possible
> to do this under OSX/Darwin? It would be awesome to be
> able to print from my Newton over Ethernet to a USB
> printer on my Mac. I'm new to OSX and all the
> possibilities opened up by it having a BSD undercarriage.
>
> -Jeremy

I have no idea about the guts of OS X :-/

There are two important components to this: the ability to
export a printer via AppleTalk and the ability to translate
from PostScript to the type of "language" needed by your
particular printer (which is typically handled by
GhostScript on many Linux systems).

If you have a PostScript printer, you should be able to
bypass the GhostScript step, meaning that it should be
possible with Windows 2000 or OS X so long as your printer
understands PostScript...

If your printer doesn't support PostScript, I have no idea
how to do it beyond Linux; I'm a Linux guy. Perhaps some NT
or OS X guys know about using GhostScript or something
similar with NT or OS X?

-Aron