Re: [NTLK] Ethernet recommendation? (was: Re: looking to replace old powerbook with eMate)

From: Brian (bmcewen_at_mediaone.net)
Date: Thu Jan 24 2002 - 06:27:17 EST

>In the eMate and in my upgraded MP2000, we use 3Com ethernet cards -
>Etherlink 3C589C. (You can find a full list of Ethernet cards in the
>Newton FAQ at www.thisoldnewt.com.) Software drivers were easy to
>download from the links at TON. Cost for the cards (complete with dongle
>for the ethernet cable) was $30 apiece at our local Computer Renaissance
>in Indianapolis. Try used computer resellers in your neighborhood. $30
>does seem to be the going rate.

I posted this once in this thread, but it's been maybe 7 hrs and it's not
here yet.

Being impatient, I'll post again :)

www.computer-show.com has the 3com589D for $14. I've ordered a few (I'll
be discreet about the quanity in case my wife sees this :) and they've all
been fine. They come with an apparantly new dongle from 3Com, still in the
original sealed box. The cards are used.

Brian