Re: [NTLK] SkyGuide and other downsides of closed source

From: Stephanie Maks (steph_at_maksystems.com)
Date: Wed Jan 23 2002 - 18:30:34 EST

Oh no, another 'me too' message...

Very well put, Sean.

I agree almost 100%. I would like to add a 3rd reason though, for someone
to withhold the source code on their freeware software - albeit temporarily.

That 3rd reason being: It isn't finished yet. If the software is still
'beta' or if I'm not finished developing it yet, or I haven't got all the
features in it I want. With PassGenR, and now my Wiccan Sabbats program, I
have made both available as soon as I had a working version, but I don't
want the source code 'out there' until I'm done developing it. With
PassGenR, when I decided I'd taken it as far as I wanted to, I then posted
the NTK source code. And when I feel Wiccan Sabbats is finished, I'll post
the source to that as well.

I suppose, if I am swamped at work and am unable to find the time to finish
it to the extent I'd like, then it would end up in this unenviable state of
being available in binary-only. Then I'd have to make the decision to 'give
up' on developing it and relenquish the source.

Anyways, I do agree, if it's freeware, then aside from the intellectual
property concerns, there's no reason not to release the source.

I was embarrased about the code for PassGenR at first, I'm sure there's a
better way to do it than I used, but what the heck. Someone asked me to
release the source, so when I was finished working on the project, that's
what I did.

-Stephanie