[NTLK] Re - Fitaly

From: Gruendel, Frank 3837 S-WF-RD6 (Frank.Gruendel_at_de.heidelberg.com)
Date: Wed Jan 23 2002 - 09:39:21 EST

>You should try FITALY, and I am sure you will ask yourself after some weeks
=
>how you could ever type without it.

And if you are a Palm user, you should *definitely* try it out. Especially
the stamp version (the one that comes with its own keyboard sticker) is
great, and the software itself is phantastic and does way more than
the Newton version). This is one of the best purchases I ever made.
Here are some things I love most (some of them not available in the
Newton version):

Keys are rearranged for minimum pen travel. Most used keys are arranged
in the center, less use keys around the most used keys, rarely used
keys located at the outside. Available in the Newton version, too.

Two space keys in the center. Minimum pen travel again. Also available
in the Newton version.

Sliding. Sliding either space key is similar to "Backspace". Minimum
pen travel, you needn't locate this key on the relatively small
keyboard sticker. It is always right next to whereever the pen tip
is.
Tapping "a" results in "a". Sliding it to the right results
in "A". Thus you hardly ever need the shift key. Sliding it up
results in "a umlaut" which is paradise if you ever tried to get this
character with Graffiti. Left slides are customizable, in my setup sliding
"a"
to the left results in "@". I hardly ever need modifier keys anymore.
You can set up a left slide in a way that more than one character is
inserted, for example sliding "t" to the left in my case returns
"to the best of my knowledge".
There are 8 directions in which you can slide each character, and they
are "wired" very intuitively, for example sliding e to the top left or
the top right gets you the respectiv french accents.
Not available in the Newton version. Without this feature I wouldn't have
bought this product.

Number sliding. You can configure Fitaly so that tapping a key gets
you characters like ".", ",", "!" etc. while sliding this key brings
up the numbers. Or vice versa. Again this makes modifier keys unnecessary.

The support of the people who sell Fitaly is exceptional. Usually they
answer
within hours and help you until you are satisfied.

Frank

Newton software and hardware at http://www.pda-soft.de