Re: [NTLK] bad backups resolved!?!

From: Aron Hsiao (thoth_at_leapdragon.net)
Date: Tue Jan 22 2002 - 01:59:56 EST

On Monday 21 January 2002 11:35 pm, you wrote:
> hey gang,
> thanks to Laurent's suggestion, i managed a somewhat
> successful backup of the MP2K using slowdown.exe. i sure
> had to turn it all the way down, though. i also reduced
> the COM speed to 19,200. it backed up the internal store
> before the PC dropped the connexion. that's ok, i just
> did a selective backup next, and backed up only the
> memory card this time. i guess that is as good as i can
> hope!
>
> ciao,
> scotty t

Other things I've found that can help. I don't know if
they're real or imagined, but in any case, they tend to
make me feel better. ;)

* Exit all other programs and use CTRL+ALT+DELETE to make
sure nothing else is running.

* Make sure "slowdown" is the foreground (i.e. selected and
highlighted) window once you start the backup if you're
running a version of Windows that gives higher priority to
foreground tasks by default.

* In Windows 2000, set priority for the NCU.EXE program to
"realtime" using the task manager.

* If you're a Linux user or a Windows 2000 user with
VMware, try using it with slowdown! My most reliable backup
system turns out to be VMware running Windows 98 on my
Linux system, with slowdown.exe running in VMware! I can
almost always finish a 56kbps backup this way.

Good luck!

-Aron