Re: [NTLK] hangman,dictionaries how to add??

From: Brian (bmcewen_at_mediaone.net)
Date: Mon Jan 21 2002 - 23:10:24 EST

>http://www.planetnewton.com/download/downloadindex.htm

That URL doesn't go to the games area, but I found the text you included
came from Hangman2.1e. That's the hangman program from the WSU professors
who wrote a few Newton apps.

You need to download one more part, which is separate from the game
archive, the "HMX transfer package".

I found the last part you need on AMUG, one mirror is:
<http://www.datacanyon.com/pub/amug/files/newton/games-educ/all/hmx-2.1e.sit.hqx

That's a long URL, if it breaks in your email client, just do a google
search for hmx-2.1e.sit.hqx
and you'll find it for download from several sources.

There are instructions in that file about how to make it work. Basically
you make a text file on the desktop with your words in it, then run the HMX
pkg on the newton, connect to the Newton with a terminal program, and
import the words.

You need to have the text file on the desktop use a certain syntax, with
one word per line and some simple parameters. It looks pretty
straightforward. I would not make the data file too big (I've no idea what
is "too big").

I've not tried this transfer app but I remember Dr. Geoff Allen from when I
was at WSU and he was pretty good. I'll bet this is all you need to get
you going, but holler if you need help!