[NTLK] Re - Screen repairs

From: Frank Gruendel (Frank_Gruendel_at_t-online.de)
Date: Sun Jan 20 2002 - 17:20:19 EST

> I've been given a bag of various Newton bits and pieces including a 130
with
> a back light that wouldn't light. Last night I opened the case and by
> reseating the two cables the light begun to work. Unfortunately the touch
> screen in no longer responding to the pen in any way. Did I bugger it up,
or
> are their any recommendations of a good fix

You might have a look at the disassembly instructions you find in the
hardware
section of the site below. There you find a detailed description of how to
revive
Newtons prior to taking them apart. If this doesn't work, you might want to
try re-seating
the four pin digitizer ribbon cable, instructions are on the same page.
If it still doesn't work, you might want to get in touch with Dr. Newton
(less
postage if inside the US of A) or you could send it to me and I can have a
look and maybe fix it.
Take extreme care not to touch the ribbon cable with your fingers and
never bend it, there are very fragile carbon leads which break very easily.

Good luck

Frank

Newton hardware and software at http://www.pda-soft.de