Re: [NTLK] Warning: 20 MB Cards Recently on eBay

From: Laurent Daudelin (nemesys_at_cox.rr.com)
Date: Thu Jan 17 2002 - 23:19:36 EST

on 17/01/02 23:04, Grant [Oy Vey] Hutchinson at grant_at_splorp.com wrote:

> In a previous message, Laurent Daudelin typed vigorously:
>
>> So, if you got one of those cards, be careful and don't put anything of
>> value on it as the card can reach its read/write limit soon and you could
>> loose it.
>
> So, is there any reliable way to test these cards in order to check how
> far along in their "life cycle" they are? And yes, I bought four of these
> cards on the same auction, all of which formatted fine. But now you've
> got me wondering...

I'd be curious to know as well. Since I've heard for the first time that
flash RAM cards had a number of write cycles, I've been wandering how can
that be. I always learned that electronics don't degrade over time, they
will sometimes fail, but the degradation is not like tubes and the likes
where you can observe the degradation. Maybe electronics still degrade to a
certain point, depending on temperature, humidity and other factors?

But I agree with Grant that if we could have a way to find out what remains
from the life expectancy of the card is, that would be really useful!

-Laurent.

Evil Empire n.: [from Ronald Reagan's famous characterization of the communist Soviet Union] Formerly IBM,now Microsoft. Functionally, the company most hackers love to hate at any given time. Hackers like to see themselves as romantic rebels against the Evil Empire, and frequently adopt this role to the point of ascribing rather more power and malice to the Empire than it actually has. See also Borg and search for Evil Empire pages on the Web.