Re: [NTLK] Broken Shift Keys (was Taking Notes on MP2000/2100?)

From: Stephanie Maks (steph_at_maksystems.com)
Date: Thu Jan 17 2002 - 16:24:26 EST

There is only one other thing I can think of, and this is speculation
(untill I get home and have a look at my newton keyboard).

If one of the two shift keys got a bit of grit or something into the
mechanism, that resulted in the key showing up as 'always depressed', then
maybe the circuitry would then ignore the shift function.

I have seen this kind of behavior in another electronic device; if keys were
'pressed' when it was plugged in, things would behave strangely.

It's a 'long shot' but the only other thing I can think of to explain both
keys failing simultaneously. It is a very strange situation to be sure,
having both shift keys die at once, yet the caps-lock still functioning.

-Stephanie