Re: [NTLK] newtontalk Digest V2 #44

From: Douglas A. Learner (dlearner_at_mac.com)
Date: Thu Jan 17 2002 - 12:33:46 EST

Handsprings's [eventual] departure may indicate a limit in the number of
players the market can support rather than the death of the market.
Handspring essentially has a "me-too" product and has been forced into a
promotional and price-cutting battle to survive. The history of Wintel PCs
shows the results here. The Treo moves them into something new where they
can have the superior product.

There are a lot of people who have bought and use PDAs (including those who
contributed to Handpsring's $70 million in sales last quarter). Another
thought is that the PDA market may be right for another player down the line
if they bring something innovative and valuable to the picture. I think that
Apple could be successful entering the market with a Mac-centric offering, a
la iPod. After all, who would have thought there was room for another player
in the MP3 player mrket?

Doug