[NTLK] P*lm's "small but dedicated crew"

From: Andrew Scott Beals (bandy_at_cinnamon.com)
Date: Mon Jan 14 2002 - 14:28:19 EST

P*lm, Inc. had been acquired by US Robotics by 3Q1995. I was a part of an
engineering team that USR/P*lm was courting to bring into the fold. We were
suffering [as a group] from a Pointy-Haired Boss who told us that we were
replacable for less money, so we set out to find a job for our team.

USR was soon after gobbled up by 3COM.

Both USR and 3COM had entree into the resale channels, shelf space at "toy"
stores [Fry's, CompUSA, et alia] and of course a huge marketing budget. [Not
to mention their manufacturing expertise!]

Even though a NewtY2K2 would be very very cool to have and perhaps not all
that "difficult" [SMOP, right?] to make, getting it out before the public eye
and then meeting demand if you had a hit would be quite a feat.