Re: [NTLK] notes 2 works 2 PC

From: Brian (bmcewen_at_mediaone.net)
Date: Fri Jan 11 2002 - 09:49:27 EST

>Speaking of class notes... is there any way to get newton notes, including
>sketches and shapes, onto my desktop in a readable (to the desktop) form?
>I'd like to get last term's notes off the newt to make room for more
>notes. And the sketches and shapes are critical, as they are equations
>and diagrams... Text only exports fine, but I haven't managed to get the
>sketches out yet.
>
>Some format that a program in either MacOS9 or X, or Linux can read, I
>don't care which.

Xport is the only thing I use for transferring data anymore; it's SO nice.
I use NCU to do full backups and that's all. Xport works with Mac or
Windows- it's an app for the Newton and an executable on the desktop.

You can export notes and sketches to ASCII, or to MS Word RTF (or regular
RTF as well, which would be smaller if you have lots of ink text/sketches).
Exporting an outline preserves the indentations.

That said, I just tested xporting an outline with sketches _in_ the
outline; and Xport would only let me send it out as ASCII; the sketch was
lost (Xport would not provide me with the RTF export option). If you have
a note with sketches it works fine, you preserve both. Or maybe there's a
util that will convert from outline format to note format (and preserve the
sketch)- I seem to recall something for at least NOS 1.3 for this. I just
checked the printed manual and it doesn't say anything about this issue
with outlines.

Thinking out loud but not testing anything (this only is needed if you have
outlines with sketches, the notes with sketches work just great):

-Perhaps moving the outline to works with Twerx, if you have a 2.1 NOS
machine (will Works support sketches even? It would be an add-on I guess?
I don't use Works much at all) and then Xport as RTF from there? I'd ask
Dan at ICS about a solution to Xporting the sketches-in-outline, if that's
what you have done for taking notes.

-or, you could use the snapshot feature of Xport (or EETransfer) and export
screen captures of your sketches, and merge them with your exported ASCII
in Word or similar. It would definitely increase your familiarity with
your notes.... :)

-copy-paste the sketches to a regular note and export them from there as
PICT/RTF. You'd still have the original sketch in place in your outline on
the MP.

-you could print everything out, then scan it if necessary :)

Xport came with my used 2100, you can still buy it from ICS (www.newts.com).

Buying it at this time is a little confusing. Xport was first an ICS
creation, then Landware was publishing it so the Xport link from the ICS
pages points to Landware's description, then Landware gave it back but the
link from the ICS page still points to the (now 404) description at
Landware- so you cannot read much about it.

However if you visit kagi.com and the ICS purchase area at Kagi, Xport is
still there. I think it's $25. People here a couple months ago were still
able to buy it, IIRC. And ICS is pretty good with quick replies to emails.

If you have a MP130 (less MP than that it doesn't work well), you might be
able to email sketches to yourself with Simplemail and the Sketchmail for
Simplemail add-on. I've only tried that with notes that were
sketches-only, no "mixed media" as it were. And if you have long class
notes, heap limits or 10061 error or similar constraints might make this
option unworkable.

So, what options did I miss, given the goal of readability outside of
NewtonOS ?? :)

I find I type more if I'm drinking my morning coffee while I email....

HTH.