Re: [NTLK] notes 2 works 2 PC

From: Laurent Daudelin (nemesys_at_cox.rr.com)
Date: Fri Jan 11 2002 - 01:08:37 EST

on 10/01/02 23:45, Scotty Technoir at ticknor_at_punkass.com wrote:

> thanks Laurent.
> i'm running XP Pro [not as bad as people are making out around here, but
> that's another story] on a ThinkPad w/ PII 333. NCU usually works fine, i
> can install pkgs, and have done backups in the past. today, perhaps due to
> solar flares or something, it gets tripped up. something strange: i do not
> get the menu to select what is being backed up, ie i do NOT want to back up
> packages. and often the backup process goes fine until it gets to the part
> where it is backing up the packages. hmmm. i have AutoDock turned off on
> both machines. the connection error on the PC is a communication error
> type -1
>
> also, copy- and pasting does not preserve my nice, neat outlined notes.
> perhaps twerx is worth a try, but i am still nervous about being unable to
> back up all my school notes!

Scott,

If there is no previous backup, NCU won't give you any choice, but a total
backup. And given the various problems that have been reported over the year
with incremental backups, I think you should always do a full backup.

Now, did you ever have NCU working under your current setup or not? If you
don't remember any success under XP Pro, then we'll have to troubleshout
your problem to stee what's wron.n....

-Laurent.

fear and loathing n.: [from Hunter S. Thompson] A state inspired by the prospect of dealing with certain real-world systems and standards that are totally brain-damaged but ubiquitous -- Intel 8086s, or COBOL, or EBCDIC, or any IBM machine bigger than a workstation. "Ack! They want PCs to be able to talk to the AI machine. Fear and loathing time!"