Re: [NTLK] Sharp (was: No new Newton, but Palm might have promise)

From: Steve Weyer (weyer_at_kagi.com)
Date: Thu Jan 10 2002 - 08:39:41 EST

> From: Denis Krasnov <dkrasnov_at_nyc.rr.com>
>
> I've ponds of questions ?
>
> What Java API does it use ?
> Is it a full implementation of Java 2 SE?

it's basically Personal Java 1.2, which corresponds to JDK 1.1.8
(AWT interface objects).

> Does it support JMF ?

not familiar with that acronym (JMF = ?? Java Message, Management, ... )

> Are there some unsupported APIs ?

I think all of the standard classes (from PJ 1.2) are supported, though you
can of course include other libraries (if they'll fit, and they're
compatible; Swing might be too big or just incompat); using Sun's JavaCheck
tool should identify potential incompatibilities.

> How does the developing process go, can I just compile a class on my mac and
> use it in Zarus ?

basically yes. I compile classes using javac, run on desktop to make sure
app works, run JavaCheck on it, then bundle it up. similar to J2ME, there
are a couple of 'header' files for OS that identify name of app and other
attributes. app's files (.class, .gif, .au) get typically bundled into
.jar. then that plus a directory structure containing the misc header files
is bundled into a .tar.gz file (which is either synced or ftp-ed to unit).

it's possible to do Java development directly on Sharp -- someone's ported
small Kopi compiler -- and someone started to write a simple IDE, though I
haven't tried either of these.

> Is java all you can code on for it, I mean to say when sound, video or
> images concerned, java is not going very far , audio is implemented quite
> poorly, graphics is a bit half-witted and all that ?

graphics is quite fast in Java (at least the builtin demos, and a ported
Javanoid game that I've seen); sound support less satisfactory from what
I've heard. I figured I'd stick with Java until I hit too many limits.

Qtopia C(++) is the main supported app environment.
I've noticed that there are ports of Python, Forth,...

> From: "Steven" <Smuro_at_socal.rr.com>
>

> Personally, I plan to stay away from Sharp products...I bought I Sharp
> Mobilion (handheld CE machine). I bought it because all their literature
> said it would be upgradeable. That never happened until some group of users
> filed a class action suit...Sharp lost but never notified users and when the
> users found out they made it very difficult to get an upgrade...moreover,
> the battery pack died in less than six months...the touch screen went
> bad...but other than that I liked it :)
> Seriously, I think Sharp packs their products with tons of neat features
> (color screens, built in modems, card slots, etc.) they just don't (from my
> experience) pack in a lot of build quality.

I have some hesitancy about Sharp also -- no replacement battery available
for my wife's < 3 year old laptop (though she's otherwise happy with it);
and I still don't know exactly who they're going to market the Zaurus to --
it's still too unpolished/raw for consumers and most business professionals
(who'd otherwise buy Palm or PocketPC) and the geek market isn't that big.

--
Steve