Re: [NTLK] Shipping Cost and The $150 Newt Adventure begins

From: Robert Benschop (rbenschop_at_mac.com)
Date: Thu Jan 10 2002 - 02:51:27 EST

on 10-01-2002 1:56, Mark Ross at markross13_at_home.com wrote:

>>> Just to elaborate on my previous reply/post, it may appear as though
>>> foreigners (in this case people not living in the USA) may miss out
>>> on the Newton Deal. I'd be really disappointed if that happened, I
>>> was assured in good faith that shipping would not be a problem,
>>> however UPS at $100 US would probably be a bit steep for most.
>
> I just went to UPS and FedEx on line. They charge about $56 for shipping
> with insurance using their box package. Even with the upcharge for a
> mail box center, this should be about a 30% increase to $73.00. Still
> pricey, but look at the bright side, you get a Newton worth about $300
> for ca. $225.00. Still not a bad deal.

I've been shipping eMates, as many of you probably know, across the pond for
years and costs (insured !) about $ 25

This was always with the Dutch postal services and the USPS did the delivery
part in the US. (though not always very reliably, though they did always
deliver they once left one on somebody's porch since there wasn't anybody
home ! It was still there when he returned though ;-)

BTW, though a bit more than $ 25 this went for the rest of the world as
well.

UPS and FedEx are very expensive once they have to cross the ocean,
but maybe somebody on the list could check out insured shipping
through the Postal Services ?
Pretty sure you could do a big favor to a lot of Newton users abroad.

Robert Benschop