Re: [NTLK] No new Newton, but Palm might have promise

From: David Golden (ikondave_at_charter.net)
Date: Wed Jan 09 2002 - 16:07:06 EST

on 1/8/02 7:06 PM, Steve Weyer at weyer_at_kagi.com wrote:

> yet another possibility is new SL-5000 handheld from Sharp.
> Linux, Java, color, StrongARM, builtin keyboard, Opera browser, MP3.
> I've got a developer unit right now -- powerful, fast, has a lot of
> potential. although it's supposed to be available to consumers in a few
> months, I wonder whether it'll be ready -- the built-in organizer apps need
> to be much improved, and more of the Linux and configuration complexity need
> to be hidden.
>
> a few reviews:
>
> http://www.the-gadgeteer.com/zaurus-sl-5000d-review.html
> http://pencomputing.com/frames/sharp_zaurus.html
> http://www.palmstation.com/view_article.py?article=4930&flat_mode=1
> http://www.geek.com/pdageek/features/zaurus/index.htm
> http://www.techtv.com/products/consumerelectronics/story/0,23008,3363075,00.
> html
> http://www.infosync.no/show.php?id=1292&page=1

 Hey Steve -

Thanks for the thorough bibliography. I've seen the article in Pen Computing
already ( my favorite magazine by the way ), but I find like many others on
this list that the lack of compatibility with Apple platforms is a fatal
flaw. I guess I'll be waiting to see what Palm 4 has to offer. At this point
in time I'm looking with great interest at the Handspring Treo for day to
day basic stuff, my iBook for work product and my Newton for book reading/
creating and plain old fun.

Dave