Re: [NTLK] Nokia <-> Newton Names/Number sync?

From: Johannes Wolf (jwolf_at_xe.estec.esa.nl)
Date: Wed Jan 09 2002 - 04:22:12 EST

What about the 6210?
It is also a great device, comes with built in modem, IR (I still wait for the appropriate IR modem driver for the Newt),
is big enough for my fingers to find the buttons, has plenty of internal memory...

You know the little application Nokia Names from Daniel Padilla? It works great via IR, but only in one direction.
For me the more important direction would be from Newt to phone, because my Newt is my data master, also with regard to the PC.
There are already nice PC applications to connect your Nokia to the PC (via serial or IR), enter names, phone numbers, ring tones, icons and last but not least to backup your phonebook on the PC. But of course there is no link to any other PC application which deals with addresses and dates.

I am also very happy with the NewtSMS Application from Stefan Auweiler (DE). It makes it very handy to edit SMS on the Newt, transfer them to the phone (via serial cable) and send them off (also as Flash SMS if the phone supports this feature). You can also transfer SMS messages from the phone to the Newt. The only thing still needed is the IR connectivity...

So I think the bigger interest would be to make the Newt able to talk IR COM, to make the Newt able to talk with (not only) Nokia phones IR and of course the transfer of names and phone numbers stored in the Newt into the phone.

Johannes