Re: [NTLK] Backing up select packages to card?

From: Jason Smith (smithja_at_cs.unc.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 09 2002 - 00:53:53 EST

On Tuesday, January 8, 2002, at 12:22 PM, Michael Wittmann wrote:

> Having just gone through this scenario three days ago...
>
> what you CAN do is insert the card that you want, make it the default
> store, and connect via NCU to the desktop. Reload the packages you want.
> You may have freeze these same packages on internal along the way... for
> some reason, having ethernet support frozen while connected to NCU
> didn't seem to stop the ethernet connection. Go figure.
>
> The packages may show up with messages like "this can't be loaded
> because it's already on internal" but ignore that. Just go ahead, load
> 'em up, then freeze them on the card.
>
> Boom - instant backup of your ethernet capabilities...
>
> Hope that works.

        Oh that's just *brilliant*! Thanks!

        It also gets around a problem that occurred to me this evening...
if I use SBM Utilities to do a selective backup, do I *have* to use SBM
Utilities to recover, or will the built-in Backup feature copy the items
back into internal store?

        In any case, I like this. Not exactly obvious, but it should work
without any extra software at crisis time. Thanks again.