Re: [NTLK] [OT] Bigger than iWalk

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Tue Jan 08 2002 - 12:52:36 EST

On 08/01/02 08:45, "Jon Glass" <jonglass_at_usa.net> wrote:
[snip!]
>> Not everybody is in a position to see for themselves though.
>
> Now, now, you begin to sound like a conspiracy theorist. ;-) People use what
> they want to use. They see what they want to see, and believe what they want
> to believe for the most part. To pretend that they are too stupid to know
> better is a bit presumptuous.
[snip!]

Don't know about that one. Based on my quite small life experience (40
years), I can tell you that a lot of people are acting stupidly,
unfortunately. So, I'm not sure that it's that presumptuous. The problem
with this is evolution. Some people, even though they may start as "stupid",
can evolve by searching for new things, questioning the things they know and
not being afraid of the unknown.

Other people will never feel this need. They don't question themselves and
they're perfectly happy to stay where they are.

Just my $0.02...

-Laurent.

featurectomy /fee`ch*r-ek't*-mee/ n.: The act of removing a feature from a
program. Featurectomies come in two flavors, the `righteous' and the
`reluctant'. Righteous featurectomies are performed because the remover
believes the program would be more elegant without the feature, or there is
already an equivalent and better way to achieve the same end. (Doing so is
not quite the same thing as removing a misfeature.) Reluctant featurectomies
are performed to satisfy some external constraint such as code size or
execution speed.