Re: [NTLK] [OT] On the iMac.

From: Jim Richter (paparichter_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Jan 08 2002 - 09:43:16 EST

>> Now I have to have two more cables laying around my desk for the
>> speakers. A much better solution would have been to include two
>> speakers
>> in the base unit or screen.
>
> Respectfully disagreeing with you Sushi, particularly if the philosophy
> is
> to let the individual parts be "true to themselves" (ie. Quality of
> sound
> and stereo imaging). I'd easily live with two additional cables on the
> desktop rather than paying for poor quality speakers that I'd override
> with
> my own add-ons anyway. Until some engineer can fit decent sounding
> speakers
> in an enclosure like that, I'd prefer external speakers. Not a
> dissapointment here.

It seems that no one's mentioned this, but the new iMac does have an
internal speaker. The base line Mac doesn't come with the Pro
speakers--that's for the mid and high lines only. Sure, it doesn't come
with internal stereo speakers, but frankly I was never impressed with
the stereo speakers in an iMac. Most anyone I knew who wanted decent
audio, ended up buying soundsticks and an iSub anyway. So to those
who've said that Apple has compromised its vision of a purely all-in-one
Mac, you're not accurate, since there is an internal (mono) speaker.
It's not like the cube where you were required to have speakers.

Jim R.