Re: [NTLK] [OT] On the iMac.

From: BK (bk_newtontalk_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Jan 08 2002 - 01:07:18 EST

On Tuesday, January 8, 2002, at 08:37 , Steven wrote:

> Wouldn't any one on the list prefer to select and buy their own
> speakers so
> they can buy speakers that match their personal tastes...or do we want
> hand all decision making over to SJ

Sure.

BUT ...

you've got that anyway with built in speakers: If you like to get some
other speakers, just plug them in and the built-in speakers will
automatically be turned off.

Yet, if you don't like cables (and like Sushi, I hate cables) you could
just use the internal speakers. The ones in the old iMacs were pretty
good.

BTW, that gives you more choice than not having internal speakers,
because this way you have to have cables. There is no choice without
cables. This was definitely a bad design decision, similar to the
original iBook not having a built in microphone and no way to connect to
a projector. I see a chance that built-in stereo speakers may come later
to correct this mistake.

Now, what would have really been cool would be a wireless speakers
option, where your iMac is the base and you can buy some gear that you
put somewhere in your living room. Then a remote control that sends back
messages to iTunes for volume control, start/stop, pause and skip.

Best would be an IR remote that talks to the speakers, then all we need
to do is teach the Newton the commands and you can remote control your
iMac MP3 jukebox in your living room using the Newton as a remote with a
nice GUI.

That is what I call a digital hub, anyway.

rgds
bk