[NTLK] No new Newton, but Palm might have promise

From: Dave's Newton (davesnewton_at_optusnet.com.au)
Date: Mon Jan 07 2002 - 18:03:58 EST

Hi List,

I guess I'm just as dissapointed that there's no new Newton on the
horizon as anyone, but there may be light at the end of the tunnel from
Palm.

I'm an avid BeOS user and news follower. And some of the recent news
I've heard may be good.

For those of you unaware of BeOS, it's a desktop OS (like a cross
between a MAC and Linux) that was put together by one Jean-Louis
Gassee. Great OS, but killed by the M$ licencing agreement on new PC's
(that vendors weren't to offer ANY alternative OS's).

Anyway - to the point... Jean-Louis headed Apple's products division
and had a large hand in the original Newton team for Apple. And many
of the programmers on the Newton team went to Be Inc. after the
collapse of Newton. Indeed, the father of the Newton (Steve Sakoman)
also worked for Gassee at Be Inc.

Palm has bought Be Inc. and Jean-Louis is heading a new 'software only'
arm of Palm. The speculation is that a new Palm will be out which will
use the BeOS as it's OS. I know it's not a Newton and it's not the
Newton OS, but I use the BeOS everyday and the similarities are
striking. Any one of you would only need to use the OS for a few hours
to know what I'm talking about.

I know that the chance of this NOT being a reality is about 10:1 over
it being a reality, but that's where my bets are hedged at this point.
Don't get me wrong I love my Newton, but if the original programmers
are out there working on something that is in the same genre - then
I'll be in it if it happens.

Regards,

Dave
Sent from the BeOS