Re: [NTLK] [OT] Bigger than iWalk

From: BK (bk_newtontalk_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jan 07 2002 - 14:48:48 EST

On Tuesday, January 8, 2002, at 04:05 , Robert Benschop wrote:

> on 07-01-2002 6:01, BK at bk_newtontalk_at_yahoo.com wrote:
>
>> 5 - I have had almost no trouble on any Mac after OSX 10.1 exception:
>> IE
>> sometimes disappears when left open for days and sometimes it starts
>> looping.
>
> Well, there's something that seems no to get mentioned here, MS will
> always
> try to get it their way with their standards (remember the raping of
> Java ?)
> and deliberately screw things around, so though IE is a very nice
> browser it
> will crash your machine every now and than, since my crashes are so
> rare and
> IE is free I accept the trade-off, wouldn't dream of paying money for it
> though....

As I am using OSX, IE doesn't freeze nor crash the machine as it used to
under OS9. Instead it simply disappears occasionally and you have to
relaunch it then. Also it uses a lot of CPU.

If you launch IE at about the same time as iTunes and you browse around
with IE while playing MP3s inside iTunes, check out the accumulated CPU
time (using the top command from the Unix shell) -say- after an hour,
you will find that IE has used far more resources than iTunes, even
though you could expect the decoding and playback of MP3 to be more CPU
intensive than browsing. Ooooops :-o

Also, if you do the same with IE and GraphicConverter running scripts to
apply plenty of rendering intensive photoshop filters within GC on high
resolution jumbo sized JPEGs, while at the same time browsing with IE,
you will find that IE consumes not only more CPU but far more memory
than GC.

Even if you have IE sitting there doing absolutely nothing with a blank
background and no page loaded whatsoever, it will still consume memory
(increasing over time => memory leak!!!) and also it will use the CPU at
just under 1% to just under 3% (apparently it needs the CPU to leak the
memory).

So, the question is, what the heck is it doing if no page is being
displayed and there is no user interaction ?

That's MediocreSoft at what they probably think to be software
engineering. They did a great job with Office X though, I have to admit.

I have been looking at Opera, but it still can't do Unicode and I need
to be able to browse Japanese content. My wife tried out iCab Japanese,
but it has problems with certain forms and though this is a Japanese
version of iCab and the login language is set to Japanese, the input set
to Japanese, it doesn't accept any Japanese input. Netscape 6 is the
biggest hogware I have ever seen, I think if they continue the trend
they will be able to saturate a cray supercomputer simply by running
Netscape in one of the next versions. So, I guess we have to put up with
IE for a little longer ...

rgds
bk