Re: [NTLK] [OT] Bigger than iWalk

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Mon Jan 07 2002 - 03:42:31 EST

on 1/7/02 6:04 AM, BK at bk_newtontalk_at_yahoo.com wrote:

> I personally feel that it is absolutely inacceptable for a computer to
> crash, even for private use. I do not accept my washing machine to
> crash, I do not accept my coffee machine to crash, I do not accept my
> fridge to crash, I do not accept my TV set or stereo to crash, at least
> not before they have reached the end of their life, which I expect to be
> in the order of a few years at least.
>
> So why should I be accepting my computer to crash ?

How about your car? How often does it break down, or cause problems? Why?

As for the toaster, how often do you burn toast? Why? Have you ever had the
fridge cease to cool your food because the knob got accidently bumped? The
truth is, computers are very, very complicated pieces of equipment, and a
mixture of hardware and software. Every piece that goes into it has the
potential to have an impact on everything else. And that is before you add
the user. If you never added software or hardware to your computer, and if
you never modified anything in it, it could go for a long time without
crashing. If you used it carefully, and didn't quit programs, launch new
ones, launch ones you already quit, you could go a long time without
problems. My wife uses about four programs on her Mac. When she turns it on,
the launches them, and leaves them running. She can go for weeks without
needing to reboot. When she does crash, it is because a web site or her
browser crashed on her (always internet related) The funny part is that she
is using my old computer that I used to crash daily. She never crashes, and
I haven't changed a thing. Only her habits are different. Computers do not
crash, people crash computers. :-)

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." --John Adams