Re: [NTLK] One of the new MAC...

From: BK (bk_newtontalk_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jan 07 2002 - 01:47:06 EST

On Monday, January 7, 2002, at 02:47 , Ed Kummel wrote:

> Bluetooth is finally taking off!
> Do you want $J's proprietary digital hub? Or an
> industry standard that is to become BlueTooth?

Oh is it ? Who says so ? One product and it's taking off, eh ?
We shall see how far BT will go. I believe it when I see it.

On a more general note, the truth is that M$ has never truly supported
any standards. They don't even support things like IMAP properly. You
only have to look at build instructions for mail servers under Unix,
there are special compile options all over the place for M$ products
that don't follow IMAP or POP properly. And this continues all the way
through W3, MPEG and whatever industry standards there are. M$ never
follows them - they only pretend to. If you don't see this, then you
have been fooled by them just like the rest of the crowd.

On the other hand Apple has a much better track record of following
standards, especially since SJ is at the helm again. Not a perfect
record, but magnitudes better than M$ and Consorts.

Then again, Apple has often set trends and launched products ahead of
standards having cristallised yet. Sometimes they bet on the right
horse - the Newton's IRDA support is a good example for this - sometimes
they don't, but at the time they launched it was hard to tell which
standard would cristallise. In the end, when a standard emerges, most
often Apple has embraced those standards then.

BTW, you are missing the point. BT is just a transport. Even if you
integrate BT as a transport, that doesn't give you compatibility of data
anyway. Who are you to criticise one vendor to come up with one data
format while standards haven't been set yet and praise another vendor
for doing the very same thing, using their own data format ?

rgds
bk