Re: [NTLK] [OT] Guess the product announcement!

From: BK (bk_newtontalk_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Jan 05 2002 - 14:34:15 EST

On Sunday, January 6, 2002, at 03:56 , Oliver Brose wrote:

> I imagine GigaWire to be connected to Apple's efforts in getting G4
> equipped
> comm-sattelites into space with ScyCorp (they do!), offering *worldwide
> wireless network access*.

What SkyCorp are doing is placing a web server into space for testing
purposes and sponsorship deals (your logo on the spacecraft/ your web
site in orbit etc etc etc).

This shouldn't be confused with service provision from space as it is
clearly not.

Despite claims of various companies to be able to do it all much cheaper
than before, there isn't anybody crazy enough to invest in it.
Especially in the current economic climate.

Satellite networks are pretty much dead for good.

rgds
bk