Re: [NTLK] i broke it!

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Thu Jan 03 2002 - 10:55:46 EST

On 03/01/02 09:52, "charles mangin" <newton_at_option8.com> wrote:

> well, i've had my mp2000 for a couple of years now, and i finally
> dropped it in such a way that the hinges holding the cover on broke.
>
> is there a source out there for replacement flip covers for the 2x00
> series? i seem to remember seeing someone offering these (dr.
> newton?) and even had colors available, but i may be hallucinating...
>

> i need the screen, since it's the piece that holds the newt in place
> in its case...

Charles,

What are you looking for? A flip cover? Another screen? Both? Some people
were able to order flip covers at some point directly from Apple, but I'm
not sure that the item is still on Apple's item list. They were going for
$15, IIRC. Screen replacements have never been available, except from a guy
in Canada that apparently has a white backlight. There is also Mr. Grier, I
think, that is working to offer a screen replacement kit. Other than that,
you're unfortunately on your own, and would have to send your Newton to
Apple for repair to have the screen replaced.

-Laurent.

elephantine adj.: Used of programs or systems that are both conspicuous hogs
(owing perhaps to poor design founded on brute force and ignorance) and
exceedingly hairy in source form. An elephantine program may be functional
and even friendly, but (as in the old joke about being in bed with an
elephant) it's tough to have around all the same (and, like a pachyderm,
difficult to maintain). In extreme cases, hackers have been known to make
trumpeting sounds or perform expressive proboscatory mime at the mention of
the offending program. Usage: semi-humorous. Compare `has the elephant
nature' and the somewhat more pejorative monstrosity. See also second-system
effect and baroque.