[NTLK] NeXTs etc.

From: Sean Luke (sean_at_cs.gmu.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 02 2002 - 15:49:07 EST

Yeah, yeah, off topic. [warning for non-NeXT users: little of this will
make sense to you]

On Wednesday, January 2, 2002, at 09:25 AM, newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net
wrote:

> From: "Grant [Ball Dropping] Hutchinson" <grant_at_splorp.com>
> In a previous message, Chris Chapman typed vigorously:
>
>> I dunno. Am I the only person on this list who still actively uses a
>> NeXT computer? I'm using a NeXTStation Color Turbo.
>
> You're not alone. I have a monochrome NeXTStation with the original
> Megapixel display. It's not as fast as the Color Turbo slab, but a dandy
> box to play with. Easy as pie to upgrade too. There a good reference for
> NeXT hardware here:
>
> I had purchased NeXT stuff through Deep Space Technologies in teh past,
> but their domain points to the Catoctin Kettle Korn and Gift Company
> now.
> Go figure.

Well, I'm not *actively* using a NeXT box, but... I used to do software
development under NeXTSTEP, and also worked on and off for BLaCKSMITH.
I wrote Resound.app, and lived in Don Yacktman's actual apartment,
believe it or not. He's got lots of nice stuff. See
http://www.cs.umd.edu/~seanl/next/

I've got a color turbo with a 21" original Mitsubishi monitor at home,
and a color motherboard sitting here at work. And lots of little pieces
of stuff. I've also got a 75MHz Canon objectStation, which was the only
PC line ever custom designed solely for NeXTSTEP. It's still running
3.3: I won't upgrade to 4.x, it's too slow.

And of course my standard platform is MacOS X. I got Resound ported to
MacOS X Server, but then Apple abandoned the SoundKit APIs and went
solely for Quicktime (a wise move), which left Resound orphaned.

> http://www.deepspacetech.com/

Last I was in Frederick (north of DC), Deep Space Tech appears to be
gone.

Sean