Re: [NTLK] Re - Newtsicle

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Wed Jan 02 2002 - 12:39:50 EST

On 02/01/02 12:25, "Zachery Bir" <zbir_at_urbanape.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday, January 2, 2002, at 12:11 , Frank Gruendel wrote:
>
>>> D'oh! Left the Newton out in the car last night. Got down below
>>> freezing. Wiped the internal memory.
>>
>> Do you mean "it" (the temperature) wiped the internal memory??
>> This shouldn't normally happen unless the battery is so down
>> that the reduced capacity resulting from coldness isn't enough
>> anymore to keep the data intact, and even then I think most of
>> the data should survive.
>
> Nope. The battery level was at ~53% with Duracell Ultras, but the
> Newton wouldn't start up when I first brought it inside. After it
> had warmed to just under room temperature, it started, but came up
> with the "Welcome to Newton!" step-through stuff. It said that the
> machine was reset due to dead batteries.

"reset"? Hard or soft reset?

-Laurent.

code monkey n.: 1. A person only capable of grinding out code, but unable to
perform the higher-primate tasks of software architecture, analysis, and
design. Mildly insulting. Often applied to the most junior people on a
programming team. 2. Anyone who writes code for a living; a programmer. 3. A
self-deprecating way of denying responsibility for a management decision, or
of complaining about having to live with such decisions. As in "Don't ask me
why we need to write a compiler in COBOL, I'm just a code monkey."